Easy Soups & Salads
Not Your Usual Potato Salad
Oh boy! Summer's on the way! If you're already cringing at the thought of yet another mayonnaise-based summer salad, you're in luck! Try this one. Low-fat, tangy, tasty.
The salad dressing part:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1/4 cup red-wine vinegar (add 1 tablespoon water)
The salad part:
- 2 lbs. small red potatoes potatoes (cut into 1" chunks)
- 1/2 lb. baby carrots
- 1/2 lb. green beans (cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 small zucchini squash, cut into 1/2" chunks
- 1 summer squash, cut into 1/2" chunks
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped (optional)
Make the dressing: mix together the olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, and the red-wine vinegar.
Steam the potatoes and carrots until tender (this will take about 12-15 minutes, depending on the size of the pieces).
Steam the beans, zucchini, and summer squash until crisply tender (about 3-5 minutes).
Put all the veggies in a large bowl. Add the scallions. Drizzle the dressing over the salad.
Flu-Fighting, Body-Warming, HOT Chicken Soup
After the sneaky snowstorm that we had in New England this weekend, it's obvious that it's not too late for one last warm-'n'-comforting hot soup recipe. (And yes, it's "one pot" and easy).
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (or whatever chicken bits you have)
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (or as much (or little) as you want)
- Juice of one lime
- 1 Tablespoon chili-pepper oil (again, as much or as little as you want. Suggestion:start with a little -- you can always add more if you want.)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced (keeps away vampires too!)
- 4 teaspoons peeled and minced fresh ginger root (or grated up)
- 2 -3 cans chicken broth
This is a very flexible recipe. Proportions can be dramatically altered to suit your fancy. There's a lot of heat here... remember that it's easier to add than try to take it away, so maybe start with less and add as you go.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle with cayenne (hot) pepper and lime juice.
- Heat oil in a saucepan, add onion, and saute until soft.
- Add the chicken, ginger, and garlic. Cook until chicken is almost done.
- Add chicken broth. Bring soup to a boil and simmer until chicken is done.